Satisfaction and Joy

It's been really long since I published something here. I wasn't that busy but was searching for ideas to share something meaningful. In the last 2 months, I took up a part-time job at a bakery in a hospital. I was put on the line on the back where I had to make sandwiches, salads, and wraps for the customers. Many people back off when they are assigned that duty. But I really liked it. 

There are a few reasons why I liked it and wanted to share them. Food is something that is right at the top in anybody's life. It is like the most basic necessity for any living organism.




How do you feel when you are done with a really long day of work and you go out to grab some food and you get some extra food than you asked for? It makes my mood happy seeing that extra food. ALWAYS! There is a different kind of satisfaction when you see someone smile seeing good food at the end of the day. And that satisfaction gets elevated when you are the one making that food. Ain't it? 

I mentioned this to my mom, " I feel a certain happiness in making food for people Ma. It makes me happy." I guess her reaction initially was, now you know how I feel. She told me a small thing, that made me really think about this, "Annadhan (donating food) is the only kind of dhan where one would be completely satisfied with what he/she receives and would ask for no more." It is kind of true. We can only eat so much that our body can accept. One of the reasons why I felt more merrier. I sometimes would put in some extra ingredients in there. Always makes you happy when you get more than what you paid for. 

All of these were elevated even more, cause it was a hospital. Seeing our loved ones admitted in the hospital is never a good feeling. We are so tensed usually in such situations that we never even bother to eat. I personally had few people come in and ask for anything to eat that I can make. You just do not have the concentration on anything you do seeing your loved ones in pain. I felt the food is the kind of medium I can tell them that it is gonna be all right. Might seem funny but you need to experience it once to know it. 

Last week was my last day at this place. So I was assigned to do other stuff on my last day. I was casually standing out, taking a break. There was this lady who came up to me and said " You? Can you make me a salad? You make really good salads". I replied, " It is not my duty on the line today but I can make it for you madam". So while I was preparing her salad she mentioned, " I came here last night looking for you son. Was it your off yesterday? You make really good salads, I and my husband really like your salads (she came in almost 4 days before that and always got a salad from me)". I smiled and said, " Thank you so much! But I am afraid this is my last day here". She had a small disappointment on her face and enquired why I was leaving the part-time job. She later thanked me multiple times for making her good salads every day and said this while leaving, " I wish you have a really good future son and all the best in whatever you are going to do next". 

Such kind words make anyone happy. Even to the person who is in the valleys of life. This specific job that I did would always be special to me. Something I might even talk about 50 years later. What do you guys think? If you have some experience worth sharing like these, do message me. I would  be happy to talk about it more and maybe make you to write a post just like this.

-SUSHANT THOTAKURA
Pic Credits : Roney Mathew
Instagram Link : https://www.instagram.com/ronn.e/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Boundaries

How much can you have?

Pain and Sculpture