Broken Boundaries

Broken Boundaries


Boundary: A line that marks the limits of an area; a dividing line

Countries have boundaries. States have boundaries. Individual homes have boundaries. 

Humans? Do we have any boundaries? 

Yes. A line that separates us from the rest, is kind of a boundary. The line that our family draws for us is a boundary. A line that the society draws around you is a boundary. Economic status draws a huge boundary around you. Many of these aren't something you can change a lot but, the line one draws around themselves is totally under their control. This boundary one creates can actually change the ones that were once not in your control. 

Comfort Zone
This is the only boundary we draw around us. Emotionally, mentally and physically. A nation's boundary imparts a feeling of safety for the citizens. Similarly, we create the boundaries where we feel safe. We do not want to get out of the safety of our comfort zone. Is it a bad thing? Not at all. You aren't losing anything if you are inside your boundaries.

Img Source
But, sometimes, these boundaries have to be broken. Why? Maybe there is something that is more important to you across the boundary. History gives us many stories about invasion to alien lands. Because they felt there was something much better or they were to gain something more than they had once they crossed their boundaries. 

It takes a lot of courage to break the boundary. You could be facing a path full of flowers or one full of thorns. The sense of fear that one has of ending up on a path of thorns is what makes us stay in our comfort zone. This fear is what differentiates us from the rest. If you go through a biography of someone famous, you'll get to a point where you see that they had to choose what they would not have. The bold step to cross the boundary was fruitful for them. But is that the case always? We only know the stories of the famous who are successful but never the ones who failed. Maybe they were courageous enough to cross the boundary they ended up on the path full of thorns. Humiliation, this anchors you down to your comfort zone. Why? Because it clashes with the lines drawn by the society. When there is a conflict between two boundaries the one who is weak is always suppressed.



As a kid, I was very reserved. Because of the lines that I talked about in the beginning. Not that I am blaming these boundaries, but everyone has their story. I never got out of my comfort zone. But 3 years back on this day, I did something out of my comfort zone.Where did it bring me? It just made me realise what I truly am. What I was willing to do. Did it put me on a path of flowers or thorns? Both. Do I regret what I did? No. People did make fun of it. I felt embarrassed and maybe at that point I just let it go because it was my need at the time. But it has brought back me to the same old comfort zone again. Can I get out of it? Maybe. 

There is a famous quote that I often quote when asked what your favourite lines are, it was by a  famous Formula 1  driver Niki Lauda. 

Happiness is your biggest enemy. It weakens you. Puts doubts in your mind. Suddenly you have something to lose !


When you cross your comfort zone you may find a lot of happiness, success etc. But Once you have all of them, there is always a fear that someday you may end up on a path unwanted. That boundary I broke that day made me feel the same. And now it would take another leap in courage to break the same boundary again. It is okay to break such boundaries. Sometimes it is rewarding, sometimes it is a learning experience. But in the end, there is always something across the boundary.

Thank you once again for following my blog. I am happy to see some of the posts still clocking views even after 6 months.

-Sushant Thotakura
Edited by: Nivarthi Siddhartha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How much can you have?

Pain and Sculpture