Collectables! NOT TOYS

COLLECTABLES



Hobby:  A hobby is an activity, interest, enthusiasm, or pastime that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation, typically done during one's own time.

I like cars. And I collect them. Not the real cars. But models of them. 

Whenever I show the above picture to any person, their first reaction is " Nice TOY collection" . *sigh*

I am writing this post to clear the misconception that people have on my so called TOYS.

There is a huge difference between a toy and a collectable. A toy can become a collectable. But a collectable can not be a toy always. Let me explain why.

TOY: toy is an item that can be used for play. Toys are generally played with by children and pets.

COLLECTABLE: collectable (collectible or collector's item) is any object regarded as being of value or interest to a collector (not necessarily monetarily valuable or antique).

These are the definitions that you find in wikipedia. I hope you can now distinguish between the two.
So my TOYS are actually COLLECTABLES. Because they are valuable to me and they are of interest to me. Yes, one can play with them, but I don't. 
These collectables are scale models of the original cars. Not just some random design created from an artists mind. They are licensed by the manufacturer. I only collect the die-cast models and not just any plastic things that are available. And they don't come cheap ( yes they are costly because they are COLLECTABLES). 

If you still can't get where I am going with this post, let me give you another example. A visual example.



In the picture above you can see 2 of my collectables in good shape and I clean them regularly. I bought them like a year back ( I wasn't a kid any more by then). And these 2 have never been in the hands of any kids. And here is why I don't allow any kids near them. 



This was one of my earliest collectable I had (I still have it). Almost 8-9 years old ( when I was still a kid). I did open it to see what lies inside and I broke a spring and a small plastic part which connects the front right wheel. Well after I did that, I never tried to do anything else with it because I was worried I would break some other part of it.
And then disaster struck. A small kid of the age of 3 years maybe, was at my house. I usually place these collectables on the shelves away from the reach of any kids. But that day, he did get hold of this very model as his mother thought it was a toy and gave it to him. And look at it now. Its beyond repair as finding the exact size plastic parts is a bit difficult.

As a kid , maybe around 4 of such collectables saw their doom in my hands and ended up in the trash cans. I am really sorry for my "YELLOW BEETLE", "PAJERO" and 4 other BIKES that I did that to you.

So I guess you must have got the idea of why I like to call my toys as COLLECTABLES. Cause they are not meant to be played with by kids. And I am not a kid!!!


Going back to the collectables that I own, I would like to write another detailed post about them with all the details and pictures.
This post was just to avoid the misconception everyone has between TOYS AND COLLECTABLES.

Thank you for reading this very patiently. Hope you liked it. Please do leave a comment for any information or to just say " NICE COLLECTABLES". Let us get a bit interactive. ;)

-SUSHANT THOTAKURA


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Boundaries

How much can you have?

Pain and Sculpture