AUTO SHOW!!


Auto Show!


Hello, people.

Today I want to share my experience at the 2017 Chicago Auto Show. It isn't one of the main auto shows around the world that have all the fancy unveilings of new models and concepts. But it is one of that huge showcase of the existing cars. This auto show is the only second big one in my life so far, first being the Delhi auto expo of 2016.

It was hosted at McCormick Place on South Lake Shore Drive. The show was spread across two huge halls. I was there on valentine's day. It was like a dream date for me though because I got to meet the love of my life. Two of them to be fair. (:P)  I reached the place at around 1:30 PM. 

I entered the first hall and there it was at the starting, a black FORD GT. I was amazed by its design from the pictures on the internet. Seeing it in flesh was even more amazing. It was in a shade of metallic black with orange (maybe a shade of red also) stripes on it. The interesting bit is the rear of this car. It looks like something out of the car world. I have seen many memes relating it to the piggies from the angry birds game. 




When I was staring at this beauty, at the Ford stand, there was this live demonstration of their new Mustang GT. A dyno was set up and random people had a chance to get to sit in it while their driver accelerated the car up to 150mph. I hadn't recorded it, as I did not feel it was worthy ( I am a bit picky about cars, so). 
And then after seeing these two cars, I headed straight to the Audi stand. It was way across the hall. Though there were many amazing and beautiful cars in between, my love was waiting for me there that day. I ran straight up to the AUDI R8 Spyder that was on display. A perfect shade of blue complimented its beauty. I spent 5 minutes just staring at it. I love this car in particular from the day the first generation was released way back in 2008. A complete lunacy runs into me when I see it. I spent 2 hours waiting in a queue at the Delhi auto expo just to have a glimpse of the Audi R8 V10 plus in an attractive yellow color. That is how much I love this car. I will write another post exclusively to show my love towards this beauty later. 


Next, I headed to the rides that I could get onto. There was Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Fiat, Toyota and Mercedes-Benz that had live demos of what their vehicles could do. The first stand was at Dodge RAM. It was my first time in a Pick-Up truck and I was excited. They aren't much of a thing to write about, though. Dodge was the next place I was waiting in a line for. There was Challenger R/T in bright orange. All I was waiting for was the driver to accelerate real quick and brake in a track less than 200 meters. When the car can do a 0-100kmph in around 4.7 seconds, it does give you an adrenaline rush. I also sat in a Fiat 500 Abarth, which was a similar story, but it was a peppy little car. 

And then a regular off-road course at the jeep stand. All these aren't worth enough to actually share in depth for me. Then Toyota had the same story going on as well. The one thing that is worth mentioning is the Mercedes-Benz experience. They just had a small place with 2 G Wagons. I was in the silver one. They just went over a ramp and came down the other way. Seems no fun. But wait, what if the slope was 43 degrees to the horizontal? Doesn't seem scary on paper. But it was really steep. For example, the roads that we take usually have a slope of around 10 degrees. It was thrilling to experience it in a G-wagon.


Next up, I went to the Mercedes stand and to my awe, they had 2 S-class vehicles open for the public to experience the interiors. Normally we see such expensive cars to be guarded or locked. But there I was, in an S-class in the back seat. For a few moments, I was cocooned in luxury. The seats are so comfortable, the interior soothing, I realized that money does give you some kind of a luxury. 

Later, it is just a collection of the regular vehicles that we see on the roads regularly in the US. There weren't any worthy enough for me to mention. The exotic collection was good, but I expected to see many more exclusive cars. Though many vehicles at the show were open to the public to sit in and feel them, it would have been more exciting for me to see the other unexhibited exotics. It is my personal choice. Many others may have felt that it was a really good show. I spent almost 10 hours at this place. Was worthy enough to spend my valentine's day with the things that have been driving me since my childhood. 

To sign off, I will be attaching some pictures of the cars that mesmerized me. 










-SUSHANT THOTAKURA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Boundaries

How much can you have?

Pain and Sculpture