Impression!!

Impression

Let me start of with yet another small word that rarely anyone gives a thought about (deeply). I guess I'm gonna start off with the dictionary meaning of this word as well. 

Impression : an idea, feeling, or opinion about something or someone, especially one formed without conscious thought or on the basis of little evidence.

What does it take to impress someone or for you to get impressed by someone? 
In my opinion, impression is a way to hide the truth behind a smiling face. We see people constantly trying to impress others. After a long day when you get back home, just recollect the events that have occurred and judge yourself. How many times in a day have you tried to impress someone? As the definition says it is a feeling or opinion formed or you create without consciousness. 


From our very childhood we have been trained to impress others. To some extent it is okay to score a good impression, at least you try to behave well in the society. But what does it do on a long run? You just keep hiding your true self in order to make others feel good about you. You try to impress an employer to get a job. And they also expect you to impress them. What good is an impression of 3 minutes for a job you will have to survive in for 30 years. Impress the teachers so that you can score good grades. Does it mean your grades are directly proportional to the impression they have on you?

Let me give an example from my own experience. During my undergrad first year, I wasn't a favorite of any of my teachers. They always had kind of a less than average impression on me. But when the results were out for that semester, they understood my true potential. I was shocked myself. But that was the fact. I never tried to impress them, I just did what I had to do. And my work impressed them. 


What happens once you have impressed someone? 
You constantly keep trying to maintain that. Maintaining something is much harder than starting something or ending something. I have understood this from a small talk based on a YouTube video. I will add the link below, so that you all can also understand that maintenance is something hard to do. 

Back to the topic, once you have reached the peak you never want to come down, that is what  'impression' makes you do. It is redundant trying to impress someone more than you have to. 

There is a very famous line that we often hear. 'First impression is the best impression'. The statement itself is saying that you are being judged by very little evidence that people have on you. 

But at a point in your life, you will meet people you may not have to impress. And yes that does happen. A person you want to be truthful to, rather than being something you are not just to impress someone. When you meet such people, treasure them. You never have to impress your mother and father, do you?  They know what you are and they accept you for what you are. 

In this world, I know you cannot live without impressing or being impressed. But at least to few people in your life, try showing what you really are. Try finding people you do not have to impress. Try not to lose yourself while trying to maintain the impressions you have created. 

I will keep writing more and more about things like these. My writings may get vague and not sticking to a point. But these are my thoughts that I am trying to put in words. 


I thank my close friend Nikhil for helping me edit my blog posts. Thank you buddy. 

- SUSHANT THOTAKURA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Boundaries

How much can you have?

Pain and Sculpture